Whether you live in sunny California, a ski town in Colorado, or here in NYC (where it is absolutely frigid right now!), sweaters are always a winter necessity.
But as you start to wear your sweaters more, it's important to take good care of them to make sure they last (snags, pulls, and pills are just the worst, aren't they?). To answer all of our knitwear care questions, we turned to sweater maven, White + Warren founder and chief exec, Susan White Morrissey.
Use Morrissey's expert tips below and you'll easily elongate the life of some of your most beloved cozy winter essentials!
Fold, don't hang: "Always fold your knitwear and store it in a cool place."
Don't worry if you don't wash your knits very often: "Since we are all layering with tanks, tees, and wovens, the sweaters are not next to our skin so much—a wash after a few wears is my suggestion. But, for some [lesser worn] sweaters, only once a season is just fine."
Always hand wash instead of using the washing machine or dry cleaner: "Take the time to take care of them—hand wash for sure! Washing will rid your garments of perfume, body oils, and food from wearing, which can leave stains behind and become a potential food source for moths."
Unsure of how to properly hand wash your sweaters? Morrissey gives us the perfect step-by-step guide!
- Turn the garment inside out to wash.
- Prepare your clean basin or sink with cold water and The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo.
- Submerge your garment and gently wash with your hands.
- Thoroughly rinse the garment in clean water. Be sure that all the soap has been rinsed out and press out excess water. DO NOT twist or wring it out!
- To dry, place the garment on top of a towel, making sure it is flat and in its original shape.
- Roll up the towel with the garment inside to remove excess water.
- To finish drying, place the garment on a dry towel or drying rack.
Aside from holes or stains, wondering when to upgrade your stash? "Since I have to wear new White + Warren each season, I really enjoy passing along most of my knits to friends! They love it. But I love wearing pieces from the archives. Also, color is a big reason to trade in for a new. In order to prolong the life of your knits, treat them with care and don't be afraid to throw some color around!"
Read on for cute and cozy outfit ideas you can style this season, using all of your favorite winter sweaters:
Cute and Casual Winter Outfit Ideas: 7 Looks for When You Just Want to Be Cozy
25 Winter Date Night Outfit Ideas
15 Stylish and Easy Ways to Wear Your Skinny Jeans Right Now
Struggling with your cold-weather style? Try these expert tips to pep up your winter outfits.